These Scandinavian style salt dough bird ornaments are super simple to make, and something that you can make with the kids - by the dozens, if you so choose!
All you need to make these ornaments is some salt, flour, water, paint (and a paintbrush), and ribbon or jute string.
- Make some basic salt dough, first. You can find my Easy Salt Dough Recipe here.
- Once you have your salt dough made, flatten it out with your hands or a rolling pin.
- Use a knife to cut out your bird shape, and cut a heart shaped hole where the wing would be.
- To set your ornaments, you can either bake them at 200F for about 10-20 minutes (longer if they are larger), or you can air dry them for 2-7 days. (Note: the baked ornaments look a lot nicer and set better.)
- Paint your birds and run a ribbon or a jute string through the heart shaped hole.
- Tadaa! Scandi-style bird ornaments for your tree.
Rebecca is a mother of twin boys and a professional blogger. She loves to bake, knit, and run through the forest.